Mackerel and beetroot pearl barley risotto
45 Min Serves 4-6
- 1½ tbsp olive oil or cold-pressed rapeseed oil
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g pearl barley, rinsed
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1.2l vegetable stock
- 400ml boiling water
- 2 x 110g tins of John West Smoked Irish Peppered Mackerel Fillets
- 2 cooked beetroots, diced
- 100g fresh rocket
- Parmesan, grated
Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat and cook the leeks and carrot for 7-8 minutes until soft. Season with salt and pepper, add the garlic and cook for one minute longer.
Add the barley and stir for 2-3 minutes to toast the grains.
Add the thyme, stock and water and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the barley is soft.
Flake the mackerel and gently stir into the barley risotto, along with the beetroot and rocket. Divide amongst serving bowls and top with a sprinkling of Parmesan, to serve.
Share this recipe